Rosemary and Thyme-Infused Mashed Potatoes with Cream
- 4 ½ lbs russet potatoes about 7-8 potatoes
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 3 sprigs thyme plus 2 tbsp thyme leaves for garnish
- 6 sage leaves
- 6 black peppercorns
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 2 sticks unsalted butter softened
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Set the temperature to 350°F and preheat, lid closed for 15 minutes.
- For the mashed potatoes: Wash and peel the potatoes and cut into 1-inch cubes. Put potatoes in an oven save dish with 1 1/2 cups water, cover and cook for 1 hour or until fork tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, combine the cream with the herbs, peppercorns, and garlic cloves in a small saucepan.
- Place on the grill, cover, and allow to steep for 15 minutes. Strain the cream through a sieve to remove the herbs and garlic, place back in a saucepan and keep warm on the stove.
- Drain and using a potato ricer or food mill, rice the potatoes back into the large stockpot. Slowly pour in two-thirds of the cream then stir in 1 stick of the butter and a tablespoon of salt. Continue to add more cream, butter and salt to reach desired consistency.
- Serve immediately or keep warm over a water bath or in a slow cooker over the lowest setting. Enjoy!