Chai-Spiced Cashew Milk
Nut milks are nothing new, but they've become wildly popular as people look for dairy alternatives. I was looking to do something new with cashew milk and my team and I decided to put a chai spin on it. I threw together some spices and bang! Magic happened! The spices add a depth and richness that makes this drink addictive. And you get all the health benefits of the spices, such as increased circulation and better digestion. If you like the spice blend, you can make a large batch and store it in an airtight container in your pantry for a few months. Add it to your tea, coffee, or even smoothies.
Chai Spice Blend
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups unsalted raw cashews
- 8 cups purified water
- 2 to 4 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp chai spice blend
- 1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
To make the chai spice blend:
- Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and stir. Set aside.
To make the cashew milk:
- Put the cashews and 4 cups of the water in a blender. Let sit for 20 minutes.
- Add 2 Tbsp of the maple syrup, the spice blend, and the ginger.
- Blend at low speed, then slowly increase the speed to high and blend until smooth.
- Add the remaining 4 cups water and remaining 2 Tbsp of maple syrup (if desired) the reach your preferred consistency and taste.
- Store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, making sure to stir the milk before serving.
Reprinted from The Vibrant Life by Amanda Haas with permission by Chronicle Books, 2019
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!