- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and any green pieces removed
- 1 tsp Kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups firmly packed basil leaves
- 3 tbsp unsalted pine nuts, roasted
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp water, optional
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano- Reggiano, optional
- In a food processor or blender, pulse the garlic, salt and pepper a few times and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the basil leaves, pine nuts, and lemon juice.
- Pulse about 10 times, until the basil leaves have started to break up, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- With the motor running, pour the olive oil into the basil mixture in a slow stream, allowing it to come together as a sauce. You may need to scrape down the sides once or twice to ensure all of the basil is incorporated.
- Once the basil is finely chopped and all of the oil is incorporated, taste the pesto. Add more salt if desired to enhance flavor, and water if you prefer a thinner basil. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.