Call this a quick pickle, call it magic . . . I don’t care. All I know is that when you put cucumbers and red onions into mirin, they are completely addictive! Eat them on their own, or serve them as a side with any stir-fry, bowl, or grilled meat you make. And cucumbers flush out toxins and keep you hydrated, so think of this recipe whenever you want a little something on the side to perk up your meal!
CUCUMBER SALAD with Mint, Red Onion, and Chinese Five Spice
- 6 Persian cucumbers, unpeeled, scrubbed, and cut into 1/3 in [8 mm] slices on the bias
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp mirin
- 2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/8 tsp Chinese five-spice powder, plus more as needed
- Kosher salt
- ¼ cup [8 g] chopped fresh mint
- 2 tsp black sesame seeds
- Combine the cucumbers, onion, mirin, vinegar, honey, five-spice powder, and a generous pinch of salt ina large bowl. Toss and marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes. Toss in the mint and sesame seeds just before serving, and season with additional salt or five-spice powder as desired. Serve, or transfer toan airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!