Dark Chocolate-Cherry Trail Mix
Every time I send my kids to a sports practice with this trail mix, a parent says something like, "There she goes again, acting all Berkeley on us." We live over the hill from Berkeley, California, where the community focuses on the healthiest, organic food. With the proven benefits of almonds, pumpkin seeds, cherries, and dark chocolate all in one recipe, this mix provides an irresistible dose of inflammatory- fighting ingredients. Pack a few containers and hit the trail-any trail.
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds, toasted or spiced (see notes)
- 1/2 cup raw pistachios
- 1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the almonds in a single layer on baking sheet. Bake, stirring once, until the almonds are fragrant and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Let cool, then coarsely chop.
- Place the chopped almonds, pumpkin seeds, pistachios, cherries, and chocolate chips in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Notes: To toast any type of nut or seed quickly, warm a skillet over medium heat. Once the skillet is hot, add the nuts and stir constantly until they're browned and fragrant, 4 to 5 minutes.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!