Green Bean and Snap Pea Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette
FOR THE SALAD:
- Kosher salt
- 2 lb. 910 g green beans, trimmed
- 8 oz 225 g snap peas
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 8 oz. 225 g snow peas, trimmed and sliced on the bias
- 2 cups 60 g pea shoots, optional
- ½ cup 20 g roughly chopped fresh mint, tarragon, or combination of the two
- ¼ cup 60 ml ) fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp minced shallot
- 2 Tbsp coarse-grain mustard
- 1 Tbsp honey
- ½ cup 120 ml extra-virgin Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 2 Tbsp salt. Prepare an ice bath in a large mixing bowl (3 parts ice to 2 parts water).
- Blanch the green beans until bright green and barely softened, about 3 minutes. Transfer to the ice bath until cooled, then transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to dry. Blanch the snap peas until bright green and slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Transfer to the ice bath, then transfer to a paper-towel lined plate.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the pine nuts and a pinch of salt, and cook until fragrant and golden brown, about 3 minutes. Let cool completely.
- To make the mustard vinaigrette: In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, shallot, and mustard, and let sit for about 5 minutes. Whisk in the honey. Slowly whisk in the oil until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble the salad: Combine the blanched green beans and snap peas and raw snow peas in a large bowl. Add the pea shoots, mint, pine nuts, and ½ cup of the vinaigrette. Toss to combine, adding the remaining vinaigrette as desired, and serve.