Tuna Poke with Miso Mayonnaise and Pickled Cucumber
- 1/2 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 1 tbsp hot water
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- Canola oil, for frying
- 10 spring roll rice wrappers, cut into sixths
- Kosher salt
- 1 lb fresh ahi-grade tuna, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 avocado, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
- 3 green onions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- Black sesame seeds for garnish
To make the Pickled Cucumber
- Place the sliced cucumber in a ceramic or glass bowl. In a small saucepan over high heat, combine the water, vinegar, sugar, and salt and bring to a boil. Stir to dissolve the salt and sugar, then pour the liquid over the cucumber. Let stand until cooled to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
To make the Miso Mayonnaise
- In a small bowl, whisk together the miso paste and hot water until smooth. Stir in the mayonnaise. Set aside.
To make the Rice Crisps
- Fill a medium saucepan two-thirds full with canola oil and heat to 350°F. Carefully place a few rice wrapper triangles in the oil until they turn white and puff, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate, and sprinkle with salt. Repeat with the remaining wrappers.
To make the Tuna Tartare
- In a large mixing bowl, gently fold together the tuna, avocado, macadamia nuts, and 2 Tbsp of the green onions
- Drain the pickled cucumber slices from their liquid, and add the slices to the bowl.
- Add the tamari, mirin, and sesame oil, and gently fold to coat the tuna mixture.
- Place 1 tsp of the miso mayonnaise on a rice crisp, then top with tuna tartare. Repeat with the remaining crisps, mayonnaise, and tuna.
- Arrange them on a platter, then garnish with black sesame seeds and the remaining green onions. Serve.