Grilled French Onion Dip
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 lbs yellow onions quartered and very thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- When ready to cook, set temperature to High and preheat, lid closed for 15 minutes. While the grill is heating, place a large cast-iron pan on the grill grate.
- When the grill is up to temperature, melt the butter with the olive oil in the pan. Add the onions and 2 teaspoons of salt.
- Stir, then close the grill and cook, stirring every 5 minutes, until the onions are very soft and dark brown, about 25-30 minutes.
- Stir in the thyme and cook for 3 more minutes. Remove from the heat, add a fresh grinding of pepper, and allow the onions to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, and lemon juice. Stir in the grilled onions.
- Taste, adding more salt and pepper as necessary. Serve with kettle chips or your favorite veggies. Enjoy!
*Cook times will vary depending on set and ambient temperatures.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!