Preserved Lemon Gremolata
Typically made with lemon zest, garlic, parsley, and anchovies, this vegan version calls on preserved lemon and salty almonds for depth. The preserved lemon rounds out the clean herbs and bright acid in a way that is downright magical. Spoon this over a baked sweet potato, serve it over grilled shrimp, chicken, or steak; or smother your favorite tacos in it. Oh- it's also delicious over eggs!Photo: Andee McKenzie
- 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup roasted, salted almonds, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp minced preserved lemon, plus 1 tsp preserved lemon liquid
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegar and honey until the honey dissolves. Stir in the shallot and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the parsley, almonds, lemon and liquid, and oil, and stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Reprinted from The Vibrant Life by Amanda Haas with permission by Chronicle Books, 2019
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!